Saturday 28 September 2013

Birthday Happenings: Knitted Cats and Frogging Cowls

Yesterday was my birthday (I am now 33, or l'âge du Christ, as we call it) and I decided to keep it low-key this year. I received a number of great gifts, including this lovely fig plant given to me by a friend at work:


And the book Knit Your Own Cat: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 16 Frisky Felines given to me by my boyfriend, which looks totally adorable, and I can't wait to knit little mini Oreo and Sages.

In crochet news, I already scrapped the Ginny Cowl. I finished 3 rows before I decided that I was in no mood to do 86 rows of slip stitches, in BLO no less. Given the yarn's mottled look, it was not fun at all to be poking around trying to find stitches, so if I try it again, I will use a more solid printed yarn, I think. I am really enjoying the knit picks yarn when I am using it, but it was a pain in the ass to frog.

In any case, I have decided to go back to the project this yarn was originally slated for, namely the Sweet Pea Shawl, that I saw in Stitch 'N Bitch: The Happy Hooker. This is a lot more fun so far. It is all a bunch of shells, so it moves quite quickly, and Dtr stitches are something I don't do often, so it's fun.

I haven't begun any socks yet, as I am still not sure about what pattern to use. Do I need a special pattern for circular needles? No I just adapt a 4 needle pattern? If so, how? I think it might be easier for me to talk to someone about this instead of researching it on my own, so I may hit up a knitting store, or see if any of my friends know anything about circular needles.

Finally, I have been using  stitch markers I got in my Knit Picks order the other day, and I LOVE them. I can't believe I have gone on this long without using any; how many headaches and restarted chains would this have saved me?? I really wonder what other tools I'm not using that I should be...

No comments:

Post a Comment